One of the fastest growing shooting sports in the country right now is the action-packed, multi-gun competition, commonly known as “3-Gun.”
The reason for the name is obvious! Competitors use three different firearms — a modern sporting rifle (AR platform), a pistol; and a shotgun. Matches generally involve courses where the shooter must move through different stages and engage targets in a variety of different positions. Each stage will generally require the use of different firearms and require the shooter to transition between them.
The targets might include clay pigeons, cardboard silhouettes, steel targets of varying sizes, and anything else the match director designates as a target. Distances of the targets might vary from 3 yard to 600 yards or anything in between. The shooter who hits the most targets — and avoids certain “friendly” targets in the least amount of time, is the winner.
Just as it is with the practical pistol matches, 3-gun simulates combat or self-defense situations.
A stage provides a certain scenario for using one or more of the guns in a specific sequence.
Each stage is each match will usually be different than any you’ve shot before.
3-Gun matches are held on the 3rd Saturday.
Registration and setup will begin at 8:00 a.m. and will be at the pistol bays.
Arrive early to help setup.
Shooters Meeting will begin at 9:00 a.m. with the match following immediately after.
IMGA rules apply see link below.
The match fee is $10.00 members, $15.00 for non-members, and free for ladies, juniors, and all active military and law enforcement personnel.
At a minimum you will need the following:
- Pistol, 9mm or larger, and at least 3 magazines.
- Rifle, .223/5.56mm or larger, plus 3 magazines.
- Shotgun, pump or semi-auto, 12 ga. or 20 ga.
- 150 rounds of Pistol and Rifle ammo, 50 rounds of bird shot, 10 slugs, and 10 buck shot.
- No steel core, tracer, or armor piercing ammunition will be allowed.
- A sturdy belt and a strong side belt holster (drop leg is OK).
- Magazine pouches for pistol and rifle magazines.
- Shotshell pouches, shell holders, or speed loaders for shotgun.
- A sling for your Rifle or Carbine
- Hearing and eye protection are mandatory for all competitors and spectators.
If have any questions or need to borrow some equipment please contact me.
3-Gun Match Director